The heritage town of Trim is situated on the river Boyne. It is a thriving town where many activities, historical and cultural, regularly take place. It had one of the oldest and largest religious settlements in the country.
Soon after proclaiming Christianity in Ireland, St. Patrick built a church here on land granted to him by the son of the High King. He built it near an ancient ford that crossed the river just beyond the bridge and it was from this that Trim got its name.
After the Anglo-Norman invasion, towards the end of the 12th century, Henry II granted the whole of Meath to Hugh de Lacy. He decided to make Trim his headquarters and built a magnificent castle on the outskirts of the town. The castle was built on bedrock which can be seen projecting under the walls of Trim Castle. In the 16th century, “Silken Thomas” Fitzgerald raided and occupied the town during his ill-fated insurrection against Henry VII
The Yellow Steeple is the most prominent of the many ruins in Trim. It overlooks the town from a ridge directly opposite Trim Castle. Originally part of the 13th century St. Mary’s Augustinian Abbey, the steeple dates from 1368. Geoffrey de Geneville, Lord of Meath, founded the black Friary of the Dominicans in 1263 which was located in the field behind the present day Supervalu.
The Franciscans were based where the courthouse is today. They were known as the Grey Friars.